attention to

Travel documents

Flight ticket

The old paper ticket has now been replaced by airlines with an electronic ticket (E-ticket). Passengers must then report to check-in with their reservation code accompanied by a valid ID.

Before embarking on a trip, it is important to check the identity and health documents required by the authorities of the destination country. Any irregularities could in fact result in a ban on entry into the country itself.

When planning your trip, you should check the expiry date of your identity card or passport. As a precaution, it is advisable to write down the number, date and place of issue, these data may be useful in case of loss or theft.

Identity card

To travel within the Schengen area, an ID Card is sufficient. It is necessary to check that it has not expired and that it is valid for expatriation. The driving license, on the other hand, is not valid for expatriation.

Schengen countries

The countries that fully apply the Schengen Agreement are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Hungary, plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland (which do not belong to the EU). Switzerland, the last country to join the Schengen Agreement, opened its land borders at the end of 2008 and its air borders at the end of March 2009.

Ireland and the UK have not signed the agreement. Cyprus, which joined the EU in 2004, and Bulgaria and Romania, which joined in 2007, do not yet fully participate in the Schengen Agreement. You will therefore need to show a valid passport or identity card to travel to these countries. The driving license is not valid for expatriation.

For more information you can consult:

Viaggiare Sicuri

Travel documents for EU citizens


However, to travel to the non-Schengen area, a valid passport must be presented, and for some countries an entry visa is also required.

Insights on:

Travel documents for non-EU citizens

Viaggiare Sicuri

State Police

European Commission > EU Immigration Portal

To travel to Morocco: Travel Safe > MOROCCO

Driver’s license

The driving license is not a valid document for expatriation and abroad it may not be recognized as an identity document.


To protect your health, always check whether the country of destination requires vaccinations or recommends special preventive measures. All useful information is available on the site Viaggiare Sicuri .


All minors must be in possession of an individual document to travel.
From 26/06/2012 the minor can travel in Europe and abroad only with an individual travel document. The passports of parents with enrollments of minor children remain valid only for the holder until the natural expiry of the document itself.

For further information and insights: